3 REASONS TO USE A SKETCHBOOK

Why you should use a sketchbook

1. You can keep track of your progress

I'll admit that I'm not the best at filling out a sketchbook in a matter of months. It takes me a year - even more than that- to properly fill out every page of a small sketchbook. Therefore every time I flip through it form the front cover, I notice my gradual improvement and a slight change in style as well. A sketchbook is like a photo album. Like the ones my mother likes to keep, with photos from when I was a baby down to my most recent photo. We see the progress and the growth.

2013 sketch. The very first drawing in my sketchbook. Looking back at this, there are so many things I want to change.

2014 sketch. One of the most recent drawings in my sketchbook which is an overall better human representation.

2. You can make mistakes 

Sketchbooks are great for experimentation, for practice and for making mistakes. Mistakes are lessons in disguise. It allows you to see what you should not do again. When I was only 13, I remember ripping out almost every page of my sketchbook every time I made a mistake. I didn't want to keep a reminder of my failure or how I was such a bad artist. But now I've come terms with my own drawing mistakes. They're in my sketchbook and when I flip through it, I am reminded of my mistake. Perhaps, it does still affect my self esteem, but I've learnt to never make the same mistake again (or at least try).

3. There are no rules

Art in general has no rules. Of course, there are usually common practices which are the techniques or methods that many artists use. It tends to be mistaken for a rule - the "right" way. The thing to remember is that you, as the artist, have the choice to follow or ignore these common ways. A sketchbook is nothing different. You can do whatever you want to do. Be creative. Be experimental. Have fun with it!
Some artists use a sketchbook for sketches and conceptual drawings. Some artists use sketchbooks to create final artworks. How you use it is completely up to you.



No comments :

Post a Comment