THIS IS NOT THE PIETA

This is not the pieta

Media: Copic Ciao Markers
Faber-Castell pencils
Pilot G-TEC 0.3mm black fineliner
Quill white A5 Multiboard
Time: 2 hours

Having watched the movie Maleficent (2014) a few weeks ago, I knew that I needed to create my own interpretation of the relationship between Maleficent and Aurora. The movie seemed to focus between the two characters. There was an initial confusion why Maleficent developed a love for Aurora, but that evidently got cleared up as I continued watching the movie.
I used Michelangelo's Pieta (1498-1499) as the main reference for the pose as I explored the relationship between the two characters. The famous sculpture depicts a mother who mourns for the loss of her child and that, for me, is the relationship between Maleficent and Aurora in the climax of the movie. Maleficent is the mother-figure and Aurora is like the daughter she's never had. I wanted this fan art to convey the love Maleficent has for Aurora. It is the kind of love that brings out the good in her, but at the same time, it is the kind of love that makes her willing to take destroy anyone who has ever hurt her as well as the one she loves. As Maleficent stares directly at the viewer, it suggests that she does not only look sorrowful, but also vengeful.

No comments :

Post a Comment